Next Event; On Tuesday morning 19th June from 9 HELP Waihi will be supporting a fledgling local group, the ‘Waitekauri Valley Landcare Group’, who will be carrying out their first major native planting as a group, at the old gold mining township area of ‘Waitekauri’. See the blog post for more info.
People are welcome to join in
- Plant propagation, nursery work
- Planting events
- Maintenance work – releasing planting s
- Predator control
These can be one-off events, occasional occurrences or regular participation in the Tuesday morning session.
- This is normally carried out on a Tuesday mornings at the nursery. Eco-sourcing of seeds, germination, pricking out, potting on, and general nursery care
Planting events during 2017
- Mangatoetoe Stream – click here for more
- Hauraki Rail Trail – various places between Waihi and Karangahake
- Hauraki Rail Trail – Hikutaia section between Robinson and Kaimanawa Roads
- Hutchinsons Reserve Goble Road, Komata Reefs
- Athenree Wetlands (organised by Waihi Beach Environment Society)
- Some planting has already been done in the Forest and Bird Millennium Planting in Morgan Park
Maintenance events during 2017
- Waihi Children’s Millennium Forest
- Waitete stream bank restoration
- Hauraki Rail Trail – various sites
- Hutchinsons Reserve
- Gilmour Lake – the mound
- Morgan Park – the Forest and Bird Millennium plantings
We would like to do more. If there is a bush area near your home we can help you set up a bait and/or trap system. If you are happy to travel we would like to extend bait and trap work in the Waitete valley and elsewhere around the district.
Dates for specific events will be placed on this page and also publicised through newspaper articles, public signage and/or publicity releases by partners.